Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Master Bedroom Closet Reveal

This year, I made the resolution to organize and redo all of our closets because as they stood in January, they were disasters. Our walk-in master bedroom closet was the worst off and had three years' worth of junk piled up on the floors and on the existing shelving. It was so bad that -- don't judge -- I actually cleaned up before taking a "before" photo for the blog!

What we needed mostly was more storage options. Fortunately, we had two salvageable shelving units and two others that could remain where they were to hang clothes. There was a lot of wasted space above and below these existing shelves, and a cheap solution to fixing this was a must.

To begin the overhaul, I first took out all of the clothing and other items from the closet and dumped them on our bed to have a clean slate to work with. I also found that the inward-swinging closet door took up too much space in the closet, so Evan removed it for me.

Then, I removed two shelving units that didn't seem to have a purpose due to their current location on the walls, and set them aside for later. These shelves left some holes in the walls, so I patched them up with spackling paste and sanded down the walls once dry.

Once the prep for the walls was finished, I gave the closet a fresh coat of paint. Our master bathroom is painted with Olympic's "Alpine Valley," so I chose to paint the closet the same to help tie in the bathroom with the bedroom.

I also painted the ceiling with Olympic's "Volcanic Ash" so that the closet matched the ceilings in both the bedroom and bathroom.

After the paint was dry, Evan re-installed the two shelving units, this time so that they were above the shelf that our clothes would hang from. This way, we'd have more storage options all the way to the ceiling. Re-using these shelving units helped save us a bunch of money too, so it was a win-win.

Around this time, I realized that the existing single-bulb light fixture in the closet wasn't enough to spotlight our new closet. So, I ran out to Lowe's and bought a fixed track lighting set for $20.

For the under-clothes storage solution, I bought four Closemaid cube storage units. Each unit had six cubes and I installed them side-by-side one another, to form an L in the closet for "his and hers" space. I bought 24 black and cream fabric cubes from Target to go into these units.

We also added two coat racks from Lowe's, to serve as tie racks on the empty wall where the door used to be.

I then added new baskets for the two upper shelves and installed a curtain and curtain rod to serve as the closet's new "door."

To completely finish the project, Evan and I also finished a whole-house floor install this summer.  We ripped up the carpet and prepped for our new bamboo flooring.  More information about that install will be featured in another post.

And that's it! Remember the before?

Here's the after!

I absolutely love how the closet turned out. It was a quick and doable Saturday makeover. We saved a lot of money by being able to reuse the shelving and going with cheaper alternatives, like the Closemaid cube systems.

My favorite part about the closet is Evan's new tie racks. I love how they are seemingly showcased as pieces of art (I think I like them more than he does).

The best thing is how much storage we have now. My shoes, accessories, and all of our baseball hats have a home, and it makes my heart happy. The majority of the baskets and fabric cubes are actually empty right now. They'll fill up soon enough!

Hope you love it as much as we do!

©2012 Blog design by Katelyn Brooke Designs