Thursday, June 13, 2013

Outdoor Pallet Sectional Sofa, Part I

My good friend showed me a picture of an outdoor sectional sofa made out of pallets.  I knew I had to give it a try, too.  Since the picture didn't come along with a tutorial, I made this project up as I went along.  Though it's not perfect, I think it turned out fairly well!

First, Evan and I went dumpster diving for some pallets.  When inspecting the pallets, we made sure to grab ones that were the same size and shape.  (As well as a few others for more projects, too!)


This project needed nine pallets in total.  Once home, I carried them onto our deck and stacked two of them on top of each other in three sections.  I also placed three additional ones as the backrest.  By doing this, I was able to envision what the project will look like when finished.


Pallets are heavy, but I wanted to make sure that they wouldn't slide off of each other over time and over repeated use.  Therefore, I used a brad nailer, air compressor, and 1 1/4" brad nails to affix all the pallets to each other.  However, I made sure not to attach the three "sections" of the outdoor sofa just so we could easily remove the sofa from the deck if need be.

While nailing, I made sure to affix the bases...


... the back rests...


... and the tops to one another.  Once done, these puppies weren't going anywhere.


We had several large sheets of plywood in our garage.  I decided to finish the sofa with these sheets to make the bench and back rests more solid.  I used a jigsaw to cut the sheets to size, and then nailed the plywood sheets to the pallet frames.


These sheets helped make the couch itself more structurally sound.


While I was at it, I decided to finish the base edges, sides, and tops of the sofa with additional pallet boards. I removed these boards from the pallets by using a reciprocating saw and a metal-cutting sawblade to slice through the thick pallet nails.  Each board was cut down to size with a miter saw and affixed to the sofa by brad nails.


Once done, I sanded the entire sofa with a random orbital sander and a combination of 60-grit and 220-grit sanding sheets. 


To finish the sofa, I purchased a gallon of black paint.  I used Valspar Ultra's exterior paint and primer combo to ensure that the paint will hold up outdoors.


And here is the finished product!


Not too bad for trial and error, right? 


There's an 1" lip in place between the pallet boards and the plywood seat rests. My reasoning behind this is to prevent the outdoor cushions from sliding off the sofa.


Part II of this tutorial will be posted once I am finished making the outdoor cushions and pillows. I'm still a little iffy on the project as a whole. As much as I love the idea of extra seating and having an outdoor sectional sofa, I'm not convinced that this doesn't look like it should be thrown in the trash.  Perhaps I'm too hard on myself, but I can't help it!  My hope is that it'll look much better once all of the cushions and pillows are in place.


What is your honest opinion of it?  I'm open to all suggestions for improvement!

You may find me linking up at these fantastic parties:

Monday: Boogieboard CottageC-R-A-F-TCraft-O-ManiacDIY Home Sweet Home,  Get Outta My Head PleaseThe Girl CreativeMad in CraftsMaking the World CuterOur Delightful HomePolish the StarsSerendipity and SpiceSew Can DoSkip to My LouThrifty Decor ChickToo Much Time on My HandsTuesday: A Bowl Full of LemonsCherished BlissCoastal CharmConfessions of a Stay at Home MommyFunky Polka Dot Giraffe,  I Gotta Try ThatI'm Topsy TurvyJillify ItThe Kurtz CornerMommy By Day Crafter by NightNap Time CreationsNatural NestersNot Just a HousewifeSugar Bee Crafts,  Sweet Little GalsTales of a Trophy WifeTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogWednesday: Adorned from Above, Free Pretty Things for YouGinger Snap CraftsHome Happy HomeIt's Just Called SpicyJAQS StudioLet Birds FlyLife with the Crust Cut OffThe NY Melrose FamilyRae Gun RamblingsThe Sasse LifeSew Much AdoSew WoodsySomeday CraftsSouthern LovelyThe Style SistersThursday: A Creative PrincessA Glimpse InsideCrafty, Scrappy, HappyHouse of HepworthsJust Winging ItMade in a DayThe Shabby Creek CottageSomewhat SimpleThrifty DecoratingYesterday on TuesdayFriday: 2805The Answer is ChocolateBacon Time with the Hungry HypoCreation CornerFingerprints on the FridgeThe Grant LifeHappy-Go-LuckyJust Us FourMom 4 RealMy Simple Home LifeNot So Functional HousewifeNot Your Ordinary RecipesOne Artsy MamaPerfectly ImperfectThe Rooster and the HenSimply DesigningTatertots and JelloWhipperberryYoung and CraftySaturday: Be Different... Act NormalCandace CreationsFunky Junk InteriorsIt's OverflowingIt's So Very CheriNutmeg PlaceSunday: The Crafty CowgirlEmbellishing Life with Homemade GoodnessFlamingo ToesG*RatedNifty Thrifty Things

6 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I love it! I'm anxious to see what you do for cushions. Excited to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! I can't wait to see it with the cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic project! I think if anything, you might want to lower the back sides a bit. But I think you'll really enjoy it when the cushions are in. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally not bad! I think it'll be way cool once you get the cushions on there. Very loungy and cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! I can't wait to see the cushions.
    I'm visiting today from Too Cute Tuesday. I hope you get the chance to visit my blog, linkup and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Party
    and Saturday at 5pm Central for DIY Showcase Link Party

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my post today! Your comment will surely put a smile on my face!

©2012 Blog design by Katelyn Brooke Designs